Auditions on Wednesday, January 27, starting at 4PM in Snell Theater.
An informal performance will take place on Friday, April 22 in the afternoon.
• 2 classical songs or opera arias of no more than 4 minutes each in length. Pieces should be
contrasting in musical style, mood and be in two languages. Must be memorized.
• A pianist will be provided, but you are welcome to bring your own.
• 2 songs in a folk style – no contemporary musical theater or classical music. Songs should be contrasting in nature and each be no more than 2 minutes in length. We would like to hear what kind of range you have, so if you need to improvise to demonstrate this, feel free to plan it in your song prep. Songs must be memorized and include an accompaniment (piano preferred – no a cappella songs). Music must be memorized.
• 1 dramatic or comedic monologue in a classic Americana style. Women’s roles that reflect a strong ethic or work nature is preferred. Avoid Shakespeare or very contemporary pieces (21st c). Must be memorized. You may use one of the monologues from the show if you like. Sides are available on Dr. Graham’s door for you to use to prepare.
• A movement evaluation will take place for all auditions on December 16th from 6-6:30 PM. Wear flats or character shoes.
• Be prepared to read from sides if necessary.
• A pianist will be provided. Make sure the music you bring is neatly organized in a binder.
QUILTERS is about the lives of American pioneer women based on the book The Quilters: Women and Domestic Art (Cooper/Bradley-Allen). In the American west, a pioneer woman Sarah and her six daughters face various aspects of frontier life. The musical is presented as a series of short tales and tableaux matched with musical numbers corresponding to the 16 blocks of a quilt. The blocks are ultimately put together to form one dramatic tableau. The scenes vary in dramatic intensity from humorous to tragic. This production will be produced by Community Performance Series in collaboration with TAUNY (Traditional Arts of Upstate New York). Renowned local fiddler Gretchen Koehler will be featured in the stage band. The quilt blocks are being created by local quilters Jill Josephs and Patty Blickwedehl. TAUNY will sponsor a quilt exhibition at each performance venue. Dr. Graham will stage direct and Dr. Severtson will music direct.
There are seven roles in the show all played by women. A professional actress will play the role of the mother. All other roles will be cast with students.
Rehearsal & Production Schedule (current as of 11/19/15 – subject to change)
The cast will begin rehearsing the first week of the spring semester and through spring break. The dates are as follows:
• week of January 25: rehearsals begin, Monday – Thursday, 4:00-5:50PM
• Friday, January 29: rehearsal from 3:00-5:00PM
• Friday, February 20: rehearsal from 3:00 – 6:00PM
• Friday, March 4 & Saturday, March 5 – spring break begins, no rehearsal these two days, but we WILL have rehearsal on Thursday, March 3 until 5:50PM.
• Sunday, March 6: rehearsal 6:00PM-9:00PM
• Monday, March 7-Thursday, March 10 – rehearsals 10AM-1PM, 2PM-5PM, (as needed 7PM-10PM)
• Friday, March 11: 7:30PM performance at Pendragon Theater, Saranac Lake, NY
• Saturday, March 12: 7:30 PM performance at Clayton Opera House, Clayton, NY
• Sunday, March 13: 3:00 PM performance at Lewis County Historical Society, Lowville, NY
• Monday, March 14: dark
• Tuesday, March 15: 4:00 – 5:50PM adjust to PAC Blackbox Theater
• Wednesday, March 16 – Saturday, March 19 performances in the PAC Blackbox Theater, 7:30PM